9.07.2009

Coffee Table Desk

When my husband and I moved to this apartment, we decided to sell our computer desk. We couldn't use the extra room for an office anymore thanks to our new little one, and the desk was too big for our kitchen {where we decided it would have to go}. Fortunately I had a coffee table table that we haven't been using that was the perfect profile.

I forgot before pictures. Here is the side table from the same set so you can get an idea of what it looked like.

Unfortunately it is a coffee table, not a computer desk. Here's how I fixed the problem. I took the base off and headed to Lowes...then Home Depot...then a local place. Did you know that unfinished table legs are like $12 a leg! I refused to spend that much. As soon as I got home I checked craigslist. They had a table that had legs exactly like my kitchen table. The whole table was only $10 and the seller lived 3 blocks away! I couldn't believe it.

I ripped the legs off, painted them cream to match our kitchen table then glued them on. I also had to buy some wood for the frame. I just had Home Depot cut them for me.

Since I don't have clamps, I used our handy-dandy cinder blocks as weights while the glue was drying.Wait a few hours and TA DA!

Here's the before {we were using a folding dinner tray}:

And the much better after {it looks like it belongs in my kitchen}:

Cost Break Down:
paint: free! {Glidden giveaway a few months ago}
wood for frame: $6 cut
table legs: $10 for 4
table top: free! {already had}
= $16

Not too shabby I'd say.

1 comment: